How Cartons Are Recycled A step by step process:
- Baled cartons are dropped into a pulper, similar to a giant domestic food mixer,
- filled with water, and
- pulped for around 20 minutes.
- This breaks down the packaging to produce a grey-brown mixture.
- The aluminium foil and polyethylene are separated from the fibre,
- The fibre is recovered to make new paper products.
- The remaining mix of plastic and aluminium can then be used in furniture, to generate energy or even separated out into pure aluminium and paraffin.